SIX BOOKS FOR THE SUMMER…
Here are some books that I recommend. I have taken something useful from each of these, and would be interested to hear your thoughts on them.
1) Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
This book juggles some wild ideas, don’t be afraid of the blurb.
2) On Writing: A Memoir on the Craft by Stephen King
Some great tips on the writing process, and becoming a better writer.
3) The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy
I would also recommend her book Falling Angels which has a fantastic scene in a back garden bomb shelter. You’ll know what I mean when you get to it.
4) The Collector by John Fowles
An epistolary novel split into two parts with two separate narrators.
5) Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
Some brilliantly economic and powerful description in this.
6) Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk Home by Ben Fountain
Structure, character, voice.